Supplementing in Special Situations
Taking a simple multivitamin and mineral pill can be a good idea for certain individuals who are at risk of developing nutrition deficiencies. You should indeed consider taking a multivitamin and mineral pill if you fall into any of the following categories:
- Restricting calories. Dieters who eat less than 1,200 calories daily may miss some important nutrients.
- Allergic to certain foods. People who can't eat certain types of foods, such as fruits or wheat, need to compensate with alternative vitamin sources to avoid deficiencies in some nutrients.
- Lactose intolerant. The inability to digest the milk sugar found in dairy products is a common occurrence among African American and Hispanic people. Avoiding dairy foods can result in a diet deficient in riboflavin, vitamin D, and the mineral calcium.
- An indoor athlete. If you spend little time in the sun or consistently use sunscreen when you are outdoors, you might be short on vitamin D, the so-called sunshine vitamin. Milk fortified with vitamin D is among the best sources of this vitamin. If you cannot or will not drink milk, taking a calcium pill with vitamin D might be a smart idea, as well as 15 minutes of regular activity in the sunshine without sunscreen.
- Contemplating pregnancy. To help prevent certain types of birth defects, women who are thinking about becoming pregnant should be sure to have a diet rich in folic acid, and they should take a multivitamin with 400 micrograms of folacin.
- Pregnant. Expectant mothers require additional vitamins and iron, but they should consult with their physicians before taking a supplement. See chapter 12 for more about athletes and pregnancy.
Was this article helpful?
Trying To Lose Weight Can Be Tough. But... Not Losing Weight and Gaining What You Lost Back, Sucks. If you've ever felt that no matter what you do to lose weight nothing seems to work. If you've ever felt that there has got to be some kind of a system or way to lose weight...but just have not found it yet.
Get My Free Ebook