- Wildman, R., in Handbook of Nutraceuticals and Functional Foods, R. Wildman, Ed. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 2001, pp. 198-206.
- Cureton, T., Improvements in physical fitness associated with a course of U.S. Navy underwater trainees, with and without dietary supplements. Res Q, 34: 440, 1963.
- Cureton, T., The Physiological Effects of Wheat Germ Oil on Humans in Exercise. Charles C. Thomas Publisher, Springfield, IL, 1972.
- Gonzalez-Bravo, L. et al., Analytical procedure for the determination of l-octacosanol ion plasma by solvent extraction and capillary gas chromatography. J Chromat B, 682: 359, 1996.
- Beltz, S. and P Doering, Efficacy of nutritional supplements used by athletes. Clin Pharm, 12: 900, 1993.
- Cockerill, D. and L. Bucci, Increases in muscle girth and decreases in body fat associated with a nutritional supplement program. Chiroprac Sports Med, 1: 73, 1987.
- Saint-John, M. and L. McNaughton, Octacosanol ingestion and its effects on metabolic responses to submaximal cycle ergometry, reaction time and chest and grip strength. Int Clin Nutr Rev, 6: 81, 1986.
- Arruzazabala, M., R. Mas, and V. Molina, Effects of policosanol on platelet aggregation in type II hypercholesterolaemic patients. Tissue React, 20: 119, 1998.
- Kim, H. et al., Octacosanol supplementation increases running endurance time and improves biochemical parameters after exhaustion in trained rats. J Med Food, 6: 345, 2003.
- Bucci, L., Nutritional ergoenic aids, in Nutrition in Exercise and Sport, I. Wolinsky and J. Hickson, Eds. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 1989, pp. 107-184.
- Kabir, Y. and S. Kimura, Distribution of radioactive octacosanol in response to exercise in rats. Nahrung, 38: 373, 1994.
- Arruzazabala, M., D. Carbajal, and R. Mas, Effects of policosanol on platelet aggregation in rats. Throm Res, 69: 321, 1993.
- Arruzazabala, M., S. Valdes, and R. Mas, Comparative study of policosanol, aspirin and the combination therapy policosanol-aspirin on platelet aggregation in healthy volunteers. Pharmacol Res, 36: 106, 1997.
- Shimura, S., T. Hasegawa, and S. Takano, Studies on the effect of octacosanol on motor endurance in mice. Nutr Rep Int, 36: 1029, 1987.
- Hernandez, F., J. Illait, and R. Mas, Effect of policosanol on serum lipids and lipoproteins in healthy volunteers. Curr Ther Res, 51: 568, 1992.
- Kato, S. et al., Octacosanol affects lipid metabolism in rats fed on a high-fat diet. Br J Nutr, 73: 433, 1995.
- Pons, P., M. Rodriguez, and R. Mas, One-year efficacy and safety of policosanol in patients with type II hypercholesterolaemia. Curr Ther Res, 55: 1084, 1994.
- Aneiros, E., R. Mas, and B. Calderon, Effect of policosanol in lowering cholesterol levels in patients with type II hypercholesterolaemia. Curr Ther Res, 56: 176, 1995.
- Castano, G., L. Tula, and M. Canetti, Effects of policosanol in hypertensive patients with type II hypercholesterolaemia. Curr Ther Res, 57: 691, 1996.
- Mas, R., G. Castano, and J. Illnait, Effects of policosanol inpatients with type II hypercholesterolaemia and additional coronary risk factors. Clin Pharmacol Ther, 65: 439, 1999.
- Stusser, R. et al., Long-term therapy with policosanol improves treadmill exercise-ECG testing performance of coronary heart disease patients. Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther, 36: 469, 1998.
- Kabir, Y. and S. Kimura, Biodistribution and metabolism of orally administered octacosanol in rats. Ann Nutr Metab, 37: 33, 1993.
- Neptune, E. et al., Phospholipid and triglyceride metabolism of exercised rat diaphragm and the role of these lipids in fatty acid uptake and oxidation. J Lipid Res, 1: 229, 1960.
- Kabir, Y. and S. Kimura, Tissue distribution of (8-14C)-octacosanol in liver and muscle of rats after serial administration. Ann Nutr Metab, 39: 279, 1995.
- Menendez, R. et al., In vitro and in vivo study of octacosanol metabolism. Arch Med Res, 36: 113, 2005.
Was this article helpful?
Your heart pumps blood throughout your body using a network of tubing called arteries and capillaries which return the blood back to your heart via your veins. Blood pressure is the force of the blood pushing against the walls of your arteries as your heart beats.Learn more...
Get My Free Ebook