- Groff, J.L., Gropper, S.S., Protein, in Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism, Groff, J.L., Gropper, S.S., Eds., Wadsworth Thomson Learning, Belmont, CA, 1999, chap. 6.
- Abcower, S.F., Souba, W.W., Glutamine and arginine, in Modern Nutrition in Health and Disease, Shils, M.E., Olson, J.A., Shike, M., Ross, A.C., Eds., Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Media, PA, 1999, chap. 35.
- Bailey, D.M., Castell, L.M., Newsholme, E.A., Davies, B., Continuous and intermittent exposure to the hypoxia of altitude: implications for glutamine metabolism and exercise performance, Br J Sports Med, 34, 210, 2000.
- Cynober, L.A., Do we have unrealistic expectations of the potential of immuno-nutrition? Can J Appl Physiol, 26, S36, 2001.
- Hargreaves, M., Snow, R., Amino acids and endurance exercise, Int J Sports Nutr Exerc Metab, 11, 133, 2002.
- Rogero, M.M., Tirapegui, J., Pedrosa, R.G., de Castro, I.A., de Oliveira Pires, I.S., Effect of alanyl-glutamine supplementation on plasma and tissue glutamine concentrations in rats submitted to exhaustive exercise, Nutrition, 22, 564, 2006.
- Chang, W.K., Yang, K.D., Shaio, M.F., Lymphocyte proliferation modulated by glutamine: involved in the endogenous redox reaction, Clin Exp Immunol, 117, 482, 1999.
- Gerich, J., Meyer, C., Hormonal control of renal and systemic glutamine metabolism, J Nutr, 130, 995S, 2000.
- van Hall, G., Saris, W.H.M., Wagenmakers, A.J.M., Effect of carbohydrate supplementation on plasma glutamine during prolonged exercise and recovery, Int J Sports Med, 19, 82, 1998.
- Mackinnon, L.T., Chronic exercise training effects on immune function, Med Sci Sports Exerc, 32, S369, 2000.
- Nieman, D.C., Exercise immunology: nutritional countermeasures, Can J Appl Physiol, 26, S45, 2001.
- Lagranha, C.J., Senna, S.M., de Lima, T.M., Silva, E.P, Doi, S.Q., Curi, R., Pithon-Curi, T.C., Beneficial effect of glutamine on exercise-induced apoptosis of rat neutrophils, Med Sci Sports Exerc, 36, 210, 2004.
- Hiscock, N., Petersen, E.W., Krzywkowski, K., Boza, J., Halkjaer-Kristensen, J., and Pedersen, B.K., Glutamine supplementation further enhances exercise-induced plasma IL-6, J Appl Physiol, 95, 145, 2003.
- Hiscock, N. and Pedersen, B.K., Exercise-induced immunodepression—plasma glutamine is not the link, J Appl Physiol, 93, 813, 2002.
- Gleeson, M., Bishop, N.C., Modification of immune responses to exercise by carbohydrate, glutamine and anti-oxidant supplements, Immunol Cell Biol, 78, 554, 2000.
- Field, C.J., Johnson, I., Pratt, V.C., Glutamine and arginine: immunonutrients for improved health, Med Sci Sports Exerc, 32, S377, 2000.
Rohde, T., Asp, S., MacLean, D.A., Pedersen, B.K., Competitive sustained exercise in humans, lymphokine activated killer cell activity, and glutamine: an intervention study, Eur J Appl Physiol, 78, 448, 1998.
Rohde, T., MacLean, D.A., Pedersen, B.K., Effect of glutamine supplementation on changes in the immune system induced by repeated exercise, Med Sci Sports Exerc, 30, 856, 1998.
Castell, L.M., Poortmans, J.R., Newsholme, E.A., Does glutamine have a role in reducing infections in athletes? Eur J Appl Physiol, 73, 488, 1996. Bassit, R.A., Sawada, L.A., Bacurau, R.F.P., Navarro, R., Costa Rosa, L.F.B.P., The effect of BCAA supplementation upon the immune response of triathletes, Med Sci Sports Exerc, 32, 1214, 2000.
Walsh, N.P., Blannin, A.K., Bishop, N.C., Robson, P.J., Gleeson, M., Effect of oral glutamine supplementation on human neutrophil lipopolysaccharide-stimulated degranulation following prolonged exercise, Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab, 10, 39, 2000.
Hiscock, N., Mackinnon, L.T., A comparison of plasma glutamine concentration on athletes from different sports, Med Sci Sports Exerc, 30, 1693, 1998. Petibios, C., Cazorla, G., Poortmans, J.R., Deleris, G., Biochemical aspects of overtraining in endurance sports, Sports Med, 32, 867, 2002.
Walsh, N.P., Blannin, A.K., Clark, A.M., Cook, L., Robson, P.J., Gleeson, M., The effects of high-intensity intermittent exercise on the plasma concentrations of glutamine and organic acids, Eur J Appl Physiol, 77, 434, 1998. Kingsbury, K.J., Kay, L., Hjelm, M., Contrasting plasma free amino acid patterns in elite athletes: association with fatigue and infection, Br J Sports Med, 32, 25, 1998. Newsholme, E.A., Biochemical mechanisms to explain immunosuppression in well-trained and overtrained athletes, Int J Sports Med, 15 (Suppl. 3), S142, 1994. Newsholme, P., Why is L-glutamine metabolism important to cells of the immune system in health, postinjury, surgery or infection? J Nutr, 131, 2515S, 2001. Blanchard, M.A., Jordan, G., Desbrow, B., Mackinnon, L.T., Jenkins, D.G., The influence of diet and exercise on muscle and plasma glutamine concentrations, Med Sci Sports Exerc, 33, 69, 2001.
Gleeson, M., Blannin, A.K., Walsh, N.P, Bishop, N.C., Clark, A.M., Effect of low-and high-carbohydrate diets on the plasma glutamine circulating leukocyte responses to exercise, Int J Sport Nutr, 8, 49, 1998.
Bowtell, J.L., Gelly, K., Jackman, M.L., Patel, A., Simeoni, M., Rennie, M.J., Effect of oral glutamine on whole body carbohydrate storage during recovery from exhaustive exercise, J Appl Physiol, 86, 1770, 1999.
van Hall, G., Saris, W.H.M., van de Schoor, P.A.I., Wagenmakers, A.J.M., The effect of free glutamine and peptide ingestion on the rate of muscle glycogen resynthesis in man, Int J Sports Med, 21, 25, 2000.
Rutten, E.P, Engelen, M.P, Schols, A.M., and Deutz, N.E., Skeletal muscle glutamate metabolism in health and disease: state of the art, Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 8, 41, 2005.
Kargotich, S., Rowbottom, D., Keast, D., Goodman, C., Dawson, B., and Morton, A.R., Plasma glutamine changes after high-intensity exercise in elite male swimmers, Res Sports Med, 13, 7, 2005.
Iwashita, S., Williams, P., Jabbour, K., Ueda, T., Kobayashi, H., Baier, S., and Flakoll, P.J., Impact of glutamine supplementation on glucose homeostasis during and after exercise, J Appl Physiol, 99, 1858, 2005.
- Smith, D.J., Norris, S.R., Changes in glutamine and glutamate concentrations for tracking training tolerance, Med Sci Sports Exerc, 32, 684, 2000.
- Williams, M.H., Nutrition for Health, Fitness and Sport, 5th ed., WCB/McGraw Hill, Dubuque, IA, 1999.
- Mourtzakis, M., Graham, T.E., Glutamate ingestion and its effects at rest and during exercise in humans, J Appl Physiol, 93, 1251, 2002.
- Wilmore, D.W., Rombeau, J.L., Role of mitochondrial glutaminase in rat renal glutamine metabolism, J Nutr, 131, 2491S, 2001.
- Lacey, J.M., Wilmore, D.W., Is glutamine a conditionally essential amino acid? Nutr Rev, 48, 297, 1990.
- Castell, L.M., Poortmans, J.R., Leclercq, R., Brasseur, M., Duchateau, J., Newsholme, E.A., Some aspects of the acute phase response after a marathon race, and the effects of glutamine supplementation, Eur J Appl Physiol, 75, 47, 1997.
- Kargotich, S., Goodman, C., Dawson, B., Morton, A.R., Keast, D., and Joske, D.J., Plasma glutamine responses to high-intensity exercise before and after endurance training, Res Sports Med, 13, 287, 2005.
- Antonio, J., Street, C., Glutamine: a potentially useful supplement for athletes, Can J Appl Physiol, 24, 1, 1999.
- Antonio, J., Sanders, M.S., Kalman, D., Woodgate, D., and Street, C., The effects of high-dose glutamine ingestion on weightlifting performance, J Strength Cond Res, 16, 157, 2002.
- Haub, M.D., Potteiger, J.A., Nau, K.L., Webster, M.J., Zebas, C.J., Acute L-glutamine ingestion does not improve maximal effort exercise, J Sports Med Phys Fitness, 38, 240, 1998.
- Candow, D.G., Chilibeck, P.D., Burke, D.G., Davison, K.S., Smith-Palmer, T., Effect of glutamine supplementation combined with resistance training in young adults, Eur J Appl Physiol, 86, 142, 2001.
- Antonio, J., Sanders, M.S., Kalman, D., Woodgate, D., Street, C., The effects of highdose glutamine ingestion on weightlifting performance, J Strength Cond Res, 16, 157, 2002.
- Rall, L.C., Eoubenoff, R., Cannon, J.G., Abad, L.W., Dinarello, C.A., Meydani, S.N., Effects of progressive resistance training on immune system response in aging and chronic inflammation, Med Sci Sports Exerc, 28, 1356, 1996.
- Flynn, M.G., Fahlman, M., Braun, W.A., Lambert, C.P, Bouillon, L.E., Bronson, P.G., Armstrong, C.W., Effects of resistance training on selected indexes of immune function in elderly women, J Appl Physiol, 86, 1905, 1999.
- Ohtani, M., Sugita, M., Maruyama, K., Amino acid mixture improves training efficiency in athletes, J Nutr, 136, 538S, 2006.
- Jellin, J.M., Gregory, P.J., Batz, F., Hichens, K., Pharmacist's Letter/Prescriber's Letter Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database, 4th ed., Therapeutic Research Faculty, Stockton, CA, 2002, p. 607.
Was this article helpful?
All Natural Immune Boosters Proven To Fight Infection, Disease And More. Discover A Natural, Safe Effective Way To Boost Your Immune System Using Ingredients From Your Kitchen Cupboard. The only common sense, no holds barred guide to hit the market today no gimmicks, no pills, just old fashioned common sense remedies to cure colds, influenza, viral infections and more.
Get My Free Audio Book