How Much Water Is Lost Daily as Urine

Every day our kidneys process about 180 liters (47.5 gallons) of blood-derived fluid to regulate blood composition. Of the 180 liters, more than 99 percent is returned to our blood, while the remaining 1 percent becomes urine. Dissolved in our urine will be waste products of our metabolism (such as urea) and other substances in excess of our needs (excessive sodium, for example). About 1 to 2 liters (about 4 to 8 cups) of our body water is lost daily as urine. This quantity will change relative to our water consumption. For instance, people who drink a lot of fluids will produce more urine daily, and that urine will probably seem clearer (more dilute).

We lose about 2 to 3 liters of water from our body daily, which is largely recovered in foods and beverages.

0 0

Post a comment