- Schott TO, Johnson WG. Folic acid: influence on the outcome of pregnancy. Am J Clin Nutr. 2000;71:1295S.
- Looker AC, et al. Prevalence of iron deficiency in the United States. JAMA. 1997;277:973.
- Thomas MK, et al. Hypovitaminosis D in medical inpatients. N Engl J Med. 1998;338:777.
- Lindenbaum J, et al. Prevalence of cobalamin deficiency in the Framingham elderly population. Am J ClinNutr. 1994;60:2.
- Pauling L. How to Live Longer and Feel Better. WH Freeman, New York, 1986
- Sauberlich HE, Machlin LJ, eds. Beyond Deficiency: New views on the function and health effects of vitamins. Ann NY Acad Sci. 1992;669:1-404.
- Werbach M. Textbook of Nutritional Medicine. Tar-zana, CA: Third Line Press; 1999.
- Bendich A, Butterworth CE, eds. Micronutrients in Health and Disease Prevention. New York: Marcel Dekker; 1991.
- Gershoff SN. Vitamin C: New roles, new requirements? Nutr Rev. 1993;51:313.
- Clark LC, et al. Effects of selenium supplementation for cancer prevention in patients with carcinoma of the skin. JAMA. 1996;276 :1957.
- Heimburger DC. Localized deficiencies of folic acid in the aerodigestive tissues. Ann NY Acad Sci. 1992;669:87.
- Pacht ER, et al. Deficiency of vitamin E in the alveolar fluid of smokers. J Clin Invest. 1986;77:789.
- Biesalski HK, Stofft E. Biochemical, morphological, and functional aspects of systemic and localized vitamin A deficiency in the respiratory tree. Ann NY Acad Sci. 1992;669:325.
- Heaney RP. Bone mass, nutrition and other lifestyle factors. Nutr Rev. 1996;54:S3.
- Teegarden D, Weaver CM. Calcium supplementation increases bone density in adolescent girls. Nutr Rev. 1994;52:171.
- Burk FR. Selenium in Biology and Human Health. New York: Springer Verlag; 1993.
- Rayman MP. The importance of selenium to human health. Lancet. 2000;356:233.
- Swain R, Kaplan B. Vitamins as therapy in the 1990s. J Am B Fam Pract. 1995;8:206.
- Shaw GM, et al. Risks of orofacial clefts in children born to women using multivitamins containing folic acid periconceptionally. Lancet. 1995;345:393.
- Meydani SN, Beharka AA. Recent developments in vitamin E and immune response. Nutr Rev. 1998;56;S49.
- Rall LC, Meydani SN. Vitamin B6 and immune competence. Nutr Rev. 1993;51:217.
- Czeizel AE, et al. Prevention of the first occurrence of neural-tube defects by periconceptional vitamin supplementation. N Engl J Med. 1992;327:1832.
- Byers T. Vitamin E supplements and coronary heart disease. Nutr Rev. 1993;51:333.
- Williams RJ. Biochemical Individuality. Austin: University of Texas Press; 1975.
- LeklemJE. Vitamin B6. In: Shils ME, et al, eds. Modern Nutrition in Health and Disease. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins; 1999:413.
- Heaney RP, Recker RR. Distribution of calcium absorption in middle-aged women. Am J Clin Nutr. 1986;43:299.
- Lynch SR. Iron overload: prevalence and impact on health. Nutr Rev. 1995;53:255.
- Dustan HP, Kirk KA. The case for or against salt in hypertension. Hypertension. 1989;13:696.
- McNamara DJ, et al. Heterogeneity of cholesterol homeostasis in man: Response to changes in dietary fat quality and cholesterol quantity. J Clin Invest. 1987;79:1729.
- Schectman G. Estimating ascorbic acid requirements for cigarette smokers. Ann NY Acad Sci. 1993;686:335.
- Armstrong LA, Maresh CM: Vitamin and mineral supplements as nutritional aids to exercise performance and health. Nutr Rev. 1996;54:S149.
- Hathcock JN. Vitamins and minerals: Efficacy and safety. Am J Clin Nutr. 1997;66:427.
- Bendich A. Safety issues regarding the use of vitamin supplements. Ann NY Acad Sci. 1992;669:300.
- Furberg CD, et al. Nifedipine: dose related increase in mortality in patients with coronary heart disease. Circulation. 1995;92:1326.
- Classen DC, et al. Adverse drug events in hospitalized patients: Excess length of stay, extra costs and attributable mortality. JAMA. 1997;277:301.
- Bendich A, Deckelbaum RJ. Preventive Nutrition. Torowa, NJ: Humana Press; 1997.
This page intentionally left blank
2 Micronutrients in Foods
Was this article helpful?
Do You Suffer From High Blood Pressure? Do You Feel Like This Silent Killer Might Be Stalking You? Have you been diagnosed or pre-hypertension and hypertension? Then JOIN THE CROWD Nearly 1 in 3 adults in the United States suffer from High Blood Pressure and only 1 in 3 adults are actually aware that they have it.
Get My Free Ebook