Suggested daily dose
Calcium and magnesium
Vitamin B complex
1000 mg and 400 mg
Balanced supplement containing 25-50 mg thiamin, niacin, and pantothenic acid
Reduces night-time leg cramps.32 Also helps reduce muscle cramps during pregnancy. During strenuous exercise, oxidative stress contributes to muscle fatigue and cramps; vitamin E helps protect against oxidative stress Low levels of calcium increase irritability of nerves and muscles and can produce muscle cramps. Particularly effective for pregnancy-associated leg cramps31
Supports optimum energy metabolism in muscles and helps clear byproducts of exercise (such as lactate) that cause muscles to cramp
- Heaney RP. Bone mass, nutrition and other lifestyle factors. Nutr Rev. 1996;54:S3.
- Teegarden D, Weaver CM. Calcium supplementation increases bone density in adolescent girls. Nutr Rev. 1994;52:171.
- Nieves JW, et al. Calcium potentiates the effect of estrogen and calcitonin on bone mass: Review and analysis. Am J Clin Nutr. 1997;67:18.
- Nielsen FH, et al. Boron enhances and mimics some effects of estrogen therapy in postmenopausal women. J Trace Elem Exp Med. 1992;58:237.
- Villareal DT, et al. Subclinical vitamin D deficiency in postmenopausal women with low vertebral bone mass. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1991;72:628.
- Thomas MK, et al. Hypovitaminosis D in medical in-patients. N Engl J Med. 1998;338:777.
- Reid IR. Therapy of osteoporosis: Calcium, vitamin D, and exercise. Am J Med Sci. 1996;312:278.
- Dawson-Hughes B. Calcium supplementation and bone loss: A review of the controlled clinical trials. Am J Clin Nutr. 1991;54:274S.
- Chapuy MC, et al. Vitamin D3 and calcium to prevent hip fractures in elderly women. N Engl J Med. 1992;327:1637.
- Dawson-Hughes B, et al. Effect of vitamin D supplementation on wintertime and overall bone loss in healthy postmenopausal women. Ann Int. Med. 1991;115:505.
- Münzenberg KJ, Koch W. Mineralogic aspects in the treatment of osteoporosis with magnesium. J Am Coll Nutr. 1989;8:461.
- King J. Does poor zinc nutriture retard skeletal growth and mineralization in adolescents? Am J Clin Nutr. 1996;64:375.
- Hammar M, et al. Calcium treatment of leg cramps in pregnancy. Effect on clinical symptoms and total serum and ionized serum calcium concentrations. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 1981;60:345.
- Cathcart RF. Leg cramps and vitamin E. JAMA. 1972;219:216.
Was this article helpful?
Forget Silly Diets-They Don't Work. Weight loss has got to be the most frustrating experience for many people, young and old alike. Eating foods that are just horrible, denying yourself foods you truly love and enjoy. Exercising, even though you absolutely hate exercising, and end up stiff as a board with no results.
Get My Free Ebook