Recurrent vomiting is one of the most common causes for referral to the pediatric gastroenterologist. Improved recognition of CVS as a definable disorder with established criteria for diagnosis has come with time, and support of two recent scientific symposia. The Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome Association has been invaluable in providing family support for CVS patients as well as supporting research efforts in CVS. As work in understanding metabolic defects and the pathophysio-logical cascade(s) responsible for brain-gut interactions in CVS continues to define this disor
- Li BUK. Cyclic vomiting syndrome and abdominal migraine. Int Semin Pediatr Gastroenterol 2000; 9: 1-9.
- Li BUK, Balint J. Cyclic vomiting syndrome: evolution in our understanding of a brain-gut disorder. In Adv Pediatr 2000; 47: 117-160.
- Abu-Arafeh I, Russel G. Cyclic vomiting syndrome in children: a population based study. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 1995; 21:454-458.
- Pfau BT, Li BUK, Murray RD et al. Differentiating cyclic from chronic vomiting patterns in children: quantitative criteria and diagnostic implications. Pediatr 1996; 97: 364-368.
- Li B UK, Murray RD, Heitlinger LA. Is cyclic vomiting syndrome related to migraine? J Pediatrics 1999; 134: 567-572.
- Heberden W. Commentaries on the History and Causes of Diseases, 3rd edn. London: Payne & Foss, 1806, cited by Hammond J. The late sequelae of recurrent vomiting of childhood. Dev Med Child Neurol 1974; 16: 15-22.
- Gee S. On fitful or recurrent vomiting. St Bartholemew Hosp Rev 1882; 18: 1-6.
- Whitney HB. Cyclic vomiting: a brief review of this affection as illustrated by a typical case. Arch Pediatr 1898; 15: 839-845.
- Rachford BK. Recurrent vomiting. Arch Pediatr 1904; 21: 881-891.
- Li BUK, Fleisher DR. Cyclic vomiting syndrome: features to be explained by a pathophysiologic model. Dig Dis Sci 1999; 44: 13S-18S.
- Shepherd HA, Harvey J, Jackson A et al. Recurrent retching and gastric mucosal prolapse: a proposed prolapse gastropathy syndrome. Dig Dis Sci 1984; 29: 121-128.
- Olson AD, Li BUK. The diagnostic evaluation of children with cyclic vomiting: a cost-effectiveness assessment. J Pediatr 2002; 141: 724-728.
- Li BUK. Cyclic vomiting: the pattern and syndrome paradigm. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 1995; 21(Suppl 1): S6-S10.
- Lucarelli S, Corrado G, Pelliccia A et al. Cyclic vomiting syndrome and food allergy/intolerance in seven der better, greater understanding will no doubt result in improved therapeutic strategies for patients suffering from CVS.
Was this article helpful?
If you are suffering from headaches, you can make the pain stop just by following some basic but little known principles. Take 15 minutes browsing through this guide and you'll find dozens of tips to gain control in the battle against headache pain.
Get My Free Audio Book