The key to revealing the mechanisms and improving therapy of functional bowel disorders lies in the collaborative efforts among basic scientists, clinical investigators, physicians and behavioral-ists. Progress in better understanding of the sensory mediators and the causes of visceral
- Apley J, Naish N. Recurrent abdominal pain: a field survey of 1000 school children. Arch Dis Child 1958; 33: 165-170.
- Russell, G, Abu-Arafeh, Ishaq S et al. Abdominal migraine: evidence for existence and treatment options. Paediatric Drugs. 2002; 4: 1-8.
- Alfven G. The covariation of common psychosomatic symptoms among children from socioeconomically differing residential areas: an epidemiologic study. Acta Paediatr 1993; 82: 484-487.
- Starfield B, Hoekelman RA, McCormick M et al. Who provides health care to children and adolescents in the United States? Pediatrics 1984; 74: 991-997.
- Hyams JS, Burke G, Davis PM et al. Abdominal pain and irritable bowel syndrome in adolescents: a community-based study. J Pediatr 1996; 129: 220-226.
- Camilleri M, Choi M. Review article: irritable bowel syndrome Aliment Pharmacol Ther 1997; 11: 3-15.
- Drossman DA, Thompson WG. The irritable bowel syndrome: review and a graduated multicomponent treatment approach. Ann Intern Med 1992; 116: 1009-1016.
- Heaton KW, O'Donnell LJD, Braddon FEM et al. Symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome in a British urban community: consulters and nonconsulters. Gastroenterology 1992; 102: 1962-1967.
- Cross AW. Recurrent abdominal pain and duodenal ulcers in Kenyan children. East Afr Med J 1977; 54: 548-551.
- Skorochodzki J, Oldak E, Taraszkiewicz F et al. Frequency of giardiasis in children with chronic abdominal pain coming from North-East Poland. Przegl Epidemiol 1998; 52: 309-315.
- Dutta S, Mehta M, Verma IC. Recurrent abdominal pain in Indian children and its relation with school and family environment. Indian Pediatr 1999; 36: 917-920.
- Hafeez A, Ali S, Hassan M. Recurrent abdominal pain and Helicobacter pylori infection in children. J Pak Med Assoc 1999; 49: 112-114.
- Boey C, Yap S, Goh KL. The prevalence of recurrent abdominal pain in 11- to 16-year-old Malaysian schoolchildren. J Paediatr Child Health 2000; 36: 114-116.
afferent dysfunction should lead to treatments that reduce the visceral perception or reflex motor responses that lead to symptoms. We should continue to pursue investigations looking for biological markers of this group of disorders. Education of patients and physicians on the nature and therapy of this group of conditions, in conjunction with early identification of psychosocial variables and development of better therapies, are fundamental strategies in order to reduce patient suffering and the elevated costs to society associated with functional bowel disorders.
- Lundby L, Sandbaek A, Juul S. Recurrent abdominal pain in schoolchildren 9-12 years of age. Ugeskr Laeger 1990; 152: 2851-2854.
- Frank L, Kleinman L, Rentz A et al. Health-related quality of life associated with irritable bowel syndrome: comparison with other chronic diseases. Clin Ther 2002; 24: 675-689.
- Drossman DA, Li Z, Andruzzi E et al. US householder survey of functional gastrointestinal disorders. Dig Dis Sci 1993; 38: 1569-1580.
- Talley NJ, Gabriel SE, Harmsen WS et al. Medical costs in community subjects with irritable bowel syndrome. Gastroenterology 1995; 109: 1736-1741.
- Martin R, Barron JJ, Zacker C. Irritable bowel syndrome: toward a cost-effective management approach. Am J Manag Care 2001; 7: S268-S275.
- Hahn BA, Yan S, Strassels S. Impact of irritable bowel syndrome on quality of life and resource use in the United States and United Kingdom. Digestion 1999; 60: 77-81.
- Silk DB. Impact of irritable bowel syndrome on personal relationships and working practices. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2001; 13: 1327-1332.
- Andrews PLR. Modulation of visceral afferent activity as a therapeutic possibility for gastro-intestinal disorders. In Read NW, ed. Irritable Bowel Syndrome. London: Blackwell Scientific, 1991: 91-121.
- Talley NJ. Serotoninergic neuroenteric modulators. Lancet 2001; 358: 2061-2068.
- Spiller RC. Effects of serotonin on intestinal secretion and motility. Curr Opin Gastroenterol 2001; 17: 99-103.
- Kellum JM, Albuquerque FC, Stoner MC et al. Stroking human jejunal mucosa induces 5-HT release and Cl-secretion via afferent neurons and 5-HT4 receptors. Am J Physiol 1999; 277: G515-G520.
- De Ponti F, Tonini M. Irritable bowel syndrome: new agents targeting serotonin receptor subtypes. Drugs 2001; 61: 317-332.
- Bearcroft CP, Perrett D, Farthing MJG. Postprandial plasma 5-hydroxytryptamine in diarrhea predominant irritable bowel syndrome: a pilot study. Gut 1998; 42: 42-46.
Silverman DHS, Munakata JH, Ennes H et al. Regional cerebral activity in normal and pathological perception of visceral pain. Gastroenterology 1997; 112: 64-72.
Mertz M, Morgan V, Tanner G et al. Regional cerebral activation in irritable bowel syndrome and control subjects with painful and non-painful rectal distention. Gastroenterology 2000; 118: 842-848. Read NW. Rectal distention: from sensation to feeling. An up-to-date evaluation of brain-imaging in IBS patients and interpretation in terms of psychophysical factors of higher brain function. Gastroenterology 2000; 118: 972-974.
Merskey H, Bogduk N. Classification of Chronic Pain, 2nd edn. Seattle: IASP Press, 1994. Trimble KC, Farouk R, Pryde A et al. Heightened visceral sensation in functional gastrointestinal disease is not site-specific. Evidence for a generalized disorder of gut sensitivity. Dig Dis Sci 1995; 40: 1607-1613. Di Lorenzo C, Youssef NN, Sigurdsson L et al. Visceral hyperalgesia in children with functional abdominal pain. J Pediatr 2001; 138: 838-843. Serra J, Azpiroz F, Malagelada JR. Impaired transit and tolerance of intestinal gas in the irritable bowel syndrome. Gut 2001; 48: 14-19.
Kellow JE, Phillips SF, Miller LJ et al. Dysmotility of the small intestine in irritable bowel syndrome. Gut 1988; 29: 1236-1243.
Kellow JE, Phillips SF. Altered small bowel motility in irritable bowel syndrome is correlated with symptoms.
Gastroenterology 1987; 92: 1885-1893.
Kellow JE, Delvaux M, Azpiroz F et al. Principles of applied neurogastroenterology: physiology/motility-
Di Lorenzo C, Hyman PE, Flores AF et al Antroduodenal manometry in children and adults with severe non-
ulcer dyspepsia. Scand J Gastroenterol 1994; 29:
Latimer P, Sarna S, Campbell D et al. Colonic motor and myoelectrical activity: a comparative study of normal subjects, psychoneurotic patients, and patients with irritable bowel syndrome. Gastroenterology 1981; 80: 893-901.
Gorard DA, Libby GW, Farthing MJ. Ambulatory small intestinal motility in diarrhoea predominant irritable bowel syndrome. Gut 1994; 35: 203-210. Camilleri M, Heading RC, Thompson WG. Clinical perspectives, mechanisms, diagnosis and management of irritable bowel syndrome. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2002; 16: 1407-1430.
Van Ginkel R, Voskuijl WP, Benninga MA et al. Alterations in rectal sensitivity and motility in childhood irritable bowel syndrome. Gastroenterology 2001; 120:31-38.
Mayer EA, Gebhart GF. Basic and clinical aspects of visceral hyperalgesia. Gastroenterology 1994; 107: 271-293.
Welgan P, Meshkinpour H, Beeler M. Effect of anger on colon motor and myoelectric activity in irritable bowel syndrome. Gastroenterology 1988; 94: 1150-1156. Nomura T, Fukudo S, Matsuoka H et al. Abnormal electroencephalogram in irritable bowel syndrome. Scand J Gastroenterol 1999; 34: 478-484. Gwee KA, Graham JC, McKendrick MW et al. Psychometric scores and persistence of irritable bowel after infectious diarrhea. Lancet 1996; 20: 150-153. Gwee KA, Collins SM, Read NW et al. Increased rectal mucosal expression of interleukin 1beta in recently acquired post-infectious irritable bowel syndrome. Gut 2003; 52: 523-526.
- Tornblom H, Lindberg G, Nyberg B et al. Full-thickness biopsy of the jejunum reveals inflammation and enteric neuropathy in irritable bowel syndrome. Gastroenterology 2002; 123: 1972-1979.
- Barbara G, Vallance BA, Collins SM et al. Persistent intestinal neuromuscular dysfunction after acute nema-tode infection in mice. Gastroenterology 1997; 113: 1224-1232.
- Boey CC, Goh KL. Psychosocial factors and childhood recurrent abdominal pain. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2002; 17: 1250-1253.
- Gue M, Del Rio-Lacheze C, Eutamene H et al. Stress-induced visceral hypersensitivity to rectal distension in rats: role of CRF and mast cells. Neurogastroenterol Motil 1997; 9: 271-279.
- Beglinger C, Degen L. Role of thyrotrophin releasing hormone and corticotrophin releasing factor in stress related alterations of gastrointestinal motor function. Gut 2002; 51 (Suppl): 145-149.
- Whitehead WE, Crowell MD, Robinson JC et al. Effects of stressful life events on bowel symptoms: subjects with irritable bowel syndrome compared with subjects without bowel dysfunction. Gut 1992; 33: 825-30.
- Drossman DA, Sandler RS, McKee DC et al. Bowel patterns among subjects not seeking health care. Use of a questionnaire to identify a population with bowel dysfunction. Gastroenterology 1982; 83: 529-534.
- Kumar D, Wingate DL. The irritable bowel syndrome: a paroxysmal motor disorder. Lancet 1985; 2: 973-977.
- Locke GR 3rd, Zinsmeister AR, Talley NJ et al. Familial association in adults with functional gastrointestinal disorders. Mayo Clin Proc 2000; 75: 907-912.
- Levy RL, Jones KR, Whitehead WE et al. Irritable bowel syndrome in twins: heredity and social learning both contribute to etiology. Gastroenterology 2001; 121: 799-804.
- Engel GL. The need for a new medical model: a challenge for biomedicine. Science 1977; 196: 129-136.
- Drossman DA. Gastrointestinal illness and the biopsy-chosocial model. Psychosom Med 1998; 60: 258-267.
- Leserman J, Li Z, Hu Y et al. How multiple types of stressors impact on health. Psychosom Med 1998; 60: 175-181.
- Drossman DA, Talley NJ, Leserman J et al. Sexual and physical abuse and gastrointestinal illness. Ann Intern Med 1995; 123: 782-794.
- Delvaux M, Denis P, Allemand H. Sexual abuse is more frequently reported by IBS patients than by patients with organic digestive diseases or controls. Results of a multicentre inquiry, French Club of Digestive Motility. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 1997; 9: 345-352.
- Hyams JS, Treem WR, Justinich CJ et al. Characterization of symptoms in children with recurrent abdominal pain: resemblance to irritable bowel syndrome. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 1995; 20: 209-214.
- Drossman DA. The functional gastrointestinal disorders and the Rome II process. Gut 1999; 45: II1-II5.
- Thompson WG, Longstreth GF, Drossman DA et al. Functional bowel disorders and functional abdominal pain. Gut 1999; 45: II43-II47.
- Hyams J, Colletti R, Faure C et al. Functional gastrointestinal disorders: Working Group Report of the First World Congress of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2002; 35: S110-S117.
- De Giacomo C, Valdambrini V, Lizzoli F et al. A population-based survey on gastrointestinal tract symptoms and Helicobacter pylori infection in children and adolescents. Helicobacter 2002; 7: 356-363.
- Jaakkimainen RL, Boyle E, Tudiver F. Is Helicobacter pylori associated with non-ulcer dyspepsia and will eradication improve symptoms? A meta-analysis. BMJ 1999; 319: 1040-1044.
- Hyams J, Hyman PE. Recurrent abdominal pain. J Pediatr 1999; 135: 401-402.
- Dignan F, Abu-Arafeh I, Russell G. The prognosis of childhood abdominal migraine. Arch Dis Child 2001; 84: 415-418.
- Lanzi G, Zambrino CA, Balottin U et al. Periodic syndrome and migraine in children and adolescents. Ital J Neurol Sci 1997; 18: 283-288.
- Blau JN, MacGregor EA. Is abdominal pain a feature of adult migraine? Headache 1995; 35: 207-209.
- Abu-Arafeh I, Russell G. Cyclical vomiting syndrome in children: a population-based study. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 1995; 21: 454-458.
- Haas L, McClain C, Varilek G et al. Complementary and alternative medicine and gastrointestinal diseases. Curr Opin Gastroenterol 2000; 16: 188-196.
- Rasquin-Weber A, Hyman PE, Cucchiara S et al. Childhood functional gastrointestinal disorders. Gut 1999; 45: II60-II68.
- Frank F, Stricker T, Stallmach T et al. Helicobacter pylori infection in recurrent abdominal pain. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2000; 31: 424-427.
- Bode G, Rothenbacher D, Brenner H et al. Helicobacter pylori and abdominal symptoms: a population-based study among preschool children in southern Germany. Pediatrics 1998; 101: 634-637.
- Splawski JB. Helicobacter pylori and nonulcer dyspepsia: is there a relation? J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2002; 34: 274-277.
- Mergener K, Baillie J. Chronic pancreatitis. Lancet 1997; 350: 1379-1385.
- Carroccio A, Montalto G, Cavera G et al. Lactose intolerance and self-reported milk intolerance: relationship with lactose maldigestion and nutrient intake. Lactase Deficiency Study Group. J Am Coll Nutr 1998; 17: 631-636.
- Hamm LR, Sorrells SC, Harding JP et al. Additional investigations fail to alter the diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome in subjects fulfilling the Rome criteria. Am J Gastroenterol 1999; 94: 1279-1282.
- Lebenthal E, Rossi TM, Nord KS et al. Recurrent abdominal pain and lactose absorption in children. Pediatrics 1981; 67: 828-832.
- Heikenen JB, Werlin SL, Brown CW et al. Presenting symptoms and diagnostic lag in children with inflammatory bowel disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis 1999; 5: 158-160.
- Kanof ME, Lake AM, Bayless TM. Decreased height velocity in children and adolescents before the diagnosis of Crohn's disease. Gastroenterology 1988; 95: 1523-1527.
- Toscano E, Trivellini V, Andria G. Cholelithiasis in Down syndrome. J Arch Dis Child 2001; 85: 242-243.
- Wesdorp I, Bosman D, de Graaff A et al. Clinical presentations and predisposing factors of cholelithiasis and Sludge in Children. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2000; 31: 411-417.
- de Vries JS, de Vries S, Aronson DC et al. Choledochal cysts: age of presentation, symptoms, and late complications related to Todani's classification. J Pediatr Surg 2002; 37: 1568-1573.
- Herwaldt BL, de Arroyave KR, Wahlquist SP et al. Multiyear prospective study of intestinal parasitism in a cohort of Peace Corps volunteers in Guatemala. J Clin Microbiol 2001; 39: 34-42.
- Pimentel M, Chow EJ, Lin HC. Eradication of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth reduces symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. Am J Gastroenterol 2000; 95: 3503-3506.
- Pimentel M, Soffer EE, Chow EJ et al. Lower frequency of MMC is found in IBS subjects with abnormal lactu-lose breath test, suggesting bacterial overgrowth. Dig Dis Sci 2002; 47: 2639-2643.
- Yakovenko E, Grigoriev P, Tcherenchimediin S et al. Is irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) related to altered gut flora? Gut 1997; 41: 123A.
- Guandalini S. Celiac disease. School Nurse News 2003; 20: 24-27.
- Zipser RD, Patel S, Yahya KZ et al. Presentations of adult celiac disease in a nationwide patient support group. Dig Dis Sci 2003; 48: 761-764.
- Kleibeuker JH. The Dutch College of General Practitioners' 'Irritable bowel syndrome' standard; reaction from the field of gastroenterology. Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 2002; 146: 790-791.
- Cranney AB, Zarkadas M, Graham ID et al. The Canadian celiac health survey - The Ottawa chapter pilot. BMC Gastroenterol 2003; 3: 8.
- Yassin K, Lachter J, Suissa A et al. Undiagnosed celiac disease in adults unmasked by endoscopy. Harefuah 2003; 142: 14-16.
- Byrne WJ, Arnold WC, Stannard MW et al. Ureteropelvic junction obstruction presenting with recurrent abdominal pain: diagnosis by ultrasound. Pediatrics 1985; 76: 934-937.
- McDonald JA. Abdominal pain in the adolescent female. CPEM 2002; 3: 33-44.
- Yamamoto W. The relationship between abdominal pain regions and specific diseases: an epidemiologic approach to clinical practice. J Epidemiol 1997; 7: 27-32.
- Kumar A, Mittal M, Prasad S et al. Haematocolpos - an uncommon cause of lower abdominal pain in adolescent girls. J Indian Med Assoc 2002; 100: 240-241.
- Tsenov D. Endometriosis in adolescence - characteristic features. Akush Ginekol 2000; 40: 24-26.
- Sprigland N, Brandt ML, Yazbeck S. Malrotation presenting beyond the neonatal period. J Pediatr Surg 1990; 25: 1139-1142.
- Otter ML, Marks CG, Cook MG. An unusual presentation of intestinal duplication with a literature review. Dig Dis Sci 1996; 41: 627-629.
- Brown RT. Costochondritis in adolescents. J Adolesc Health Care 1981; 1: 198-201.
- Ben-Chetrit E, Levy M. Familial mediterranean fever. Lancet 1998; 351: 659-664.
- Olden KW. Diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome. Gastroenterology 2002; 122: 1701-1141.
- Tolliver BA, Herrera JL, DiPalma JA. Evaluation of patients who meet clinical criteria for irritable bowel syndrome. Am J Gastroenterol 1994; 89: 176-178.
- Fitzpatrick KP, Sherman PM, Ipp M et al. Screening for celiac disease in children with recurrent abdominal pain. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2001; 33: 250-252.
- Wahnschaffe U, Ullrich R, Riecken EO et al. Celiac disease-like abnormalities in a subgroup of patients with irritable bowel syndrome. Gastroenterology 2001; 121: 1329-1338.
- van der Meer SB, Forget PP, Kuijten RH et al. Gastroesophageal reflux in children with recurrent abdominal pain. Acta Paediatr 1992; 81: 137-140.
- Soeparto P. Endoscopic examinations in children with recurrent abdominal pain. Paediatr Indones 1989; 29: 221-227.
Hyams JS, Davis P, Sylvester FA et al. Dyspepsia in children and adolescents: a prospective study. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2000; 30: 413-418. Yip WC, Ho TF, Yip YY et al. Value of abdominal sonography in the assessment of children with abdominal pain. J Clin Ultrasound 1998; 26: 397-400. Schmidt RE, Babcock DS, Farrell MK. Use of abdominal and pelvic ultrasound in the evaluation of chronic abdominal pain. Clin Pediatr (Phila) 1993; 32: 147-150. Stordal K, Nygaard EA, Bentsen B. Organic abnormalities in recurrent abdominal pain in children. Acta Paediatr 2001; 90: 638-642.
Sperling MS, McQuaid KR. Rational medical therapy of functional GI disorders. In KW Olden, ed. Handbook of Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders. New York: Marcel Dekker, 1996: 269-328.
Walker LS, Claar RL, Garber J. Social consequences of children's pain: when do they encourage symptom maintenance? J Pediatr Psychol 2002; 27: 689-698. Fordyce WE. The cognitive/behavioral perspective on clinical pain. In JD Loeser, KJ Egan, eds. Managing the Chronic Pain Patient. New York: Raven Press, 1989: 51-64.
Fishbain DA, Rosomoff HL, Cutler RB et al. Secondary gain concept: a review of the scientific evidence. Clin J Pain 1995; 11: 6-21.
Young E, Stoneham MD, Petruckevitch A et al. A population study of food intolerance. Lancet 1994; 343: 1127-1130.
Nanda R, James R, Smith H et al. Food intolerance and the irritable bowel syndrome. Gut 1989; 30: 1099-1104. Dainese R, De Galliani EA, Lazzari F et al. Discrepancies between reported food intolerance and sensitization test findings in irritable bowel syndrome patients. Am J Gastroenterol 1999; 94: 1892-1897. Aggett PJ, Agostoni C, Axelsson I et al. Nondigestible carbohydrates in the diets of infants and young children: a commentary by the ESPGHAN committee on nutrition. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2003; 36: 329-337. Saldanha LG. Fiber in the diet of US children: results of national surveys. Pediatrics 1995; 96: 994-997. Hillemeier C. An overview of the effects of dietary fiber on the gastrointestinal transit. Pediatrics 1995; 96: 997-999.
Roma E, Adamidis D, Nikolava R et al. Diet and chronic constipation in children: the role of fiber. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 1999; 28: 169-174. Malcolm A, Phillips SP, Camilleri M et al. Pharmacological modulation of rectal tone alters perception of distention in humans. Am J Gastroenterology 1997; 92: 2073-2079. Anderson JW, Smith BM, Gustafson NJ. Health benefits and practical aspects of high fiber diets. Am J Clin Nutr 1994; 59: 1242S-1247S.
Wald A. Irritable bowel syndrome. Curr Treat Options Gastroenterol 1999; 2: 13-19.
Spiller RC. Problems and challenges in the design of irritable bowel syndrome clinical trials: experience from published trials. Am J Med 1999; 107: 91S-97S. Hameroff SR, Weiss JL, Lerman JC et al. Doxepin effects on chronic pain and depression: a controlled study. J Clin Psychiatry 1984; 45: 45-52. Fishbain D. Evidence-based data on pain relief with antidepressants. Ann Med 2000; 32: 305-316. Greenbaum DS, Mayle JE, Vanegeren LE et al. Effects of desipramine on irritable bowel syndrome compared with atropine and placebo. Dig Dis Sci 1987; 32: 257-266.
Tura B, Tura SM. The analgesic effect of tricyclic antide-pressants. Brain Res 1990; 518: 19-22.
- Hyams JS, Hyman PE. Recurrent abdominal pain and the biopsychosocial model of medical practice. J Pediatr 1998; 133: 473-478.
- Jung, AC, Staiger T, Sullivan M. The efficacy of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors for the management of chronic pain. J Gen Int Med 1997; 12: 384-389.
- Olfson M, Klerman G. Trends in prescription of antide-pressants by office-based psychiatrists. Am J Psychiatry 1993; 150: 571-577.
- Gorard DA, Libby GW, Farthing MJ. Effect of a tricyclic antidepressant on small intestinal motility in health and diarrhea-predominant irritable bowel syndrome. Dig Dis Sci 1995; 40: 86-95.
- Camilleri M, Chey WY, Mayer EA. A randomized controlled clinical trial of the serotonin type 3 receptor antagonist alosetron in women with diarrhea-predominant irritable bowel syndrome. Arch Intern Med 2001; 161: 1733-1740.
- Gunput MD. Review article: clinical pharmacology of alosetron. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 1999; 13 (Suppl 2): 70-76.
- Wagstaff A, Frampton J, Croom K. Tegaserod: a review of its use in the management of irritable bowel syndrome with constipation in women. Drugs 2003; 63: 1101-1120.
- Pittler MH, Ernst E. Peppermint oil for irritable bowel syndrome: a critical review and meta-analysis. Am J Gastroenterol 1998; 93: 1131-1135.
- Kline RM, Kline JJ, Di Palma J et al. Enteric-coated, pH-dependent peppermint oil capsules for the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome in children. J Pediatr 2001; 138: 125-128.
- Bensoussan A, Talley NJ, Hing M et al. Treatment of irritable bowel syndrome with Chinese herbal medicine: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 1998; 280: 1585-1989.
- Whorwell PJ, Prior A, Faragher EB. Controlled trial of hypnotherapy in the treatment of severe refractory irritable-bowel syndrome. Lancet 1984; 2: 1232-1234.
- Lea R, Houghton LA, Calvert EL et al. Gut-focused hypnotherapy normalizes disordered rectal sensitivity in patients with irritable bowel syndrome. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2003; 17: 635-642.
- Whitehead WE, Crowell MD. Psychologic considerations in the irritable bowel syndrome. Gastroenterol Clin North Am 1991; 20: 249-267.
- Houghton LA, Whorwell PJ. Symptomatology, quality of life and economic features of irritable bowel syndrome - the effect of hypnotherapy. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 1996; 10: 91-95.
- Talley NJ, Owen BK, Boyce P et al. Psychological treatments for irritable bowel syndrome: a critique of controlled clinical trials. Am J Gastroenterol 1996; 91: 277-286.
- Gionchetti P, Rizzello F, Campieri M. Probiotics in gastroenterology. Curr Opin Gastroenterol 2002; 18: 235-239.
- Kim HJ, Camiller M, McKinzie S et al. A randomized controlled trial of a probiotic, VSL#3, on gut transit and symptoms in diarrhoea-predominant irritable bowel syndrome. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2003; 17: 895-904.
- Campo JV, Di Lorenzo C, Chiappetta L et al. Adult outcomes of pediatric recurrent abdominal pain: do they just grow out of it? Pediatrics 2001; 108: E1.
- Hotopf M, Carr S, Mayou R et al. Why do children have chronic abdominal pain, and what happens to them when they grow up? Population based cohort study. BMJ 1998; 316: 1196-1200.
Was this article helpful?
Make a plan If you want to lose weight, you need to make a plan for it. Planning involves setting your goals both short term and long term ones. With proper planning, you would be able to have an effective guide on the steps that you want to take, towards losing pounds of weight. Aside from that, it would also keep you motivated.
Get My Free Ebook