Most of the knowledge and tools needed to prevent diarrhea-associated mortality in developing countries and especially persistent diarrhea are available. These require concerted and sustained implementation in public health programs.62 Given the emerging evidence of the long-term impact of childhood diarrhea on developmental outcomes,63 it is imperative that due emphasis is placed on prompt recognition and appropriate management of persistent diarrhea.
- Black RE, Morris SS, Bryce J. Where and why are 10 million children dying every year? Lancet 2003; 361: 2226-2234.
- Snyder JD, Merson MH. The magnitude of the global problem of acute diarrheal disease: a review of active surveillance data. Bull World Heath Organ 1982; 60: 605-613.
- Bern C, Martines J, Zoysa ID, Glass RI. The magnitude of the global problem of diarrheal disease: a ten year update. Bull World Health Organ 1992; 70: 705-714.
- Yusufzai M, Bhutta ZA. In Bhutta ZA, ed. Contemporary Issues in Childhood Diarrhea and Malnutrition. Oxford: Karachi, 1997.
- Kosek M, Bern C, Guerrant RL. The global burden of diarrheal disease as estimated from studies published between 1990 and 2000. Bull World Health Organ 2003; 81; 197-204.
- Moore SR, Lima AA, Schorling JB et al. Changes over time in the epidemiology of diarrhea and malnutrition among children in an urban Brazilian shantytown, 1989 to 1996. Int J Infect Dis 2000; 4: 179-186.
- Bhan MK, Bhandari N, Sazawal S et al. Descriptive epidemiology of persistent diarrhea among young children in rural north India. Bull World Health Organ 1989; 67: 281-288.
- Khan SR, Jalil F, Zaman S et al. Early child health in Lahore, Pakistan: X. Mortality. Acta Paediatr Suppl 1993; 390: 109-117.
- Black RE, Brown KH, Becker S, Yunus M. Longitudinal studies of infectious diseases and physical growth of children in rural Bangladesh. I. Patterns of morbidity. Am J Epidemiol 1982; 115: 305-314.
- Lanata CF, Black RE, Gilman RH et al. Epidemiologic, clinical, and laboratory characteristics of acute vs persistent diarrhea in periurban Lima, Peru. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 1991; 12: 82-88.
- Mahmud A, Jalil F, Karlberg J, Lindblad BS. Early child health in Lahore, Pakistan: VII. Diarrhea. Acta Paediatr Suppl 1993; 390: 79-85.
- Bhutta ZA, Hendricks KM. Nutritional management of persistent diarrhea in childhood: a perspective from the developing world. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 1996; 22: 17-37.
- Briend A. Is diarrhea a major cause of malnutrition among under-fives in developing countries? A review of available evidence. Eur J Clin Nutr 1990; 44: 611-628.
- Fauveau V, Henry FJ, Briend A et al. Persistent diarrhea as a cause of childhood mortality in rural Bangladesh. Acta Paediatr Suppl 1992; 381: 12-14.
- Baqui AH, Black RE, Sack RB et al. Malnutrition, cellmediated immune deficiency and diarrhea: a community-based longitudinal study in rural Bangladeshi children. Am J Epidemiol 1993; 137: 355-365.
- Azim T, Ahmad SM, Sefat-E-Khuda et al. Immune response of children who develop persistent diarrhea following rotavirus infection. Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 1999; 6: 690-695.
- Raqib R, Mia SM, Qadri F et al. Innate immune responses in children and adults with Shigellosis. Infect Immun 2000; 68: 3620-3629.
- Taniguchi K, Rikimaru T, Yartey JE et al. Immunological background in children with persistent diarrhea in Ghana. Pediatr Int 1999; 41: 162-167.
- Amadi B, Kelly P, Mwiya M et al. Intestinal and systemic infection, HIV, and mortality in Zambian children with persistent diarrhea and malnutrition. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2001; 32: 550-554.
- Tumwine JK, Kekitiinwa A, Nabukeera N et al. Enterocytozoon bieneusi among children with diarrhea attending Mulago Hospital in Uganda. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2002; 67: 299-303.
- Chokephaibulkit K, Wanachiwanawin D, Tosasuk K et al. Intestinal parasitic infections among human immunodeficiency virus-infected and -uninfected children hospitalized with diarrhea in Bangkok, Thailand. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 2001; 32: 770-775.
- Sullivan PB, Marsh MN, Mirakian R et al. Chronic diarrhea and malnutrition - histology of the small intestinal lesion. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 1991; 12: 195-203.
- Shiner M, Nichols VN, Barrish JP, Nichols BL. Pathogenesis of small-intestinal mucosal lesions in chronic diarrhea of infancy: II. An electron microscopic study. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 1990; 11: 464-480.
- Fagundes-Neto U, De Martini-Costa S, Pedroso MZ, Scaletsky IC. Studies of the small bowel surface by scanning electron microscopy in infants with persistent diarrhea. Braz J Med Biol Res 2000; 33: 1437-1442.
- Manuel PD. The role of cow's milk protein intolerance in chronic diarrhea in a developing community. In Walker-Smith JA, McNeish AS, eds. Diarrhea and Malnutrition in Childhood. London: Butterworth, 1986: 193-199.
- Lunn PG, Northrop-Clewes CA, Downes RM. Chronic diarrhea and malnutrition in the Gambia: studies on intestinal permeability. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 1991; 85: 8-11.
- Sullivan PB, Lunn PG, Northrop-Clewes C et al. Persistent diarrhea and malnutrition - the impact of treatment on small bowel structure and permeability. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 1992; 14: 208-215.
- Jakobsson I. Intestinal permeability in children of different ages and with different gastrointestinal diseases. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 1993; 4(Suppl 3): 33-39.
Holm S, Lindberg T, Gothefors L. Macromolecular absorption during and after gastroenteritis in children.
Acta Pediatr Scand 1992; 81: 585-588.
Okeke IN, Nataro JP. Enteroaggregative Escherichia coli.
Lancet Infect Dis 2001; 1: 304-313.
Unicomb LE, Banu NN, Azim T et al. Astrovirus infection in association with acute, persistent and nosocomial diarrhea in Bangladesh. Pediatr Infect Dis J
Fraser D, Dagan R, Porat N et al. Persistent diarrhea in a cohort of Israeli Bedouin infants: role of enteric pathogens and family and environmental factors. J Infect Dis 1998; 178: 1081-1088. Germani Y, Minssart P, Vohito M et al. Etiologies of acute, persistent, and dysenteric diarrheas in adults in Bangui, Central African Republic, in relation to human immunodeficiency virus serostatus. Am J Trop Med Hyg 1998; 59: 1008-1014.
Sazawal S, Black RE, Bhan MK et al. Zinc supplementation in young children with acute diarrhea in India. N Engl J Med 1995; 333: 839-844.
Bhutta ZA, Nizami SQ, Isani Z. Zinc supplementation during persistent diarrhoea of childhood in Pakistan. Pediatrics 1999; 103: e42.
Roy SK, Tomkins AM, Mahalanabis D et al. Impact of zinc supplementation on persistent diarrhoea in malnourished Bangladeshi children. Acta Paediatr 1998; 87: 1235-1239.
Bhutta ZA, Bird SM, Black RE et al. Therapeutic effects of oral zinc in acute and persistent diarrhea in children in developing countries: pooled analysis of randomized controlled trials. Am J Clin Nutr 2000; 72: 1516-1522. Bhutta ZA, Molla AM, Isani Z et al. Nutrient absorption and weight gain in persistent diarrhoea: comparison of a traditional rice-lentil-yogurt-milk diet with soy formula. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 1994; 18: 45-52. Sodemann M, Jakobsen MS, Molbak K et al. Episode-specific risk factors for progression of acute diarrhoea to persistent diarrhoea in west African children. Trans Pi Soc Trop Med Hyg 1999; 93: 65-68. Mahmud MA, Hossain MM, Huang DB et al. Sociodemographic, environmental and clinical risk factors for developing persistent diarrhoea among infants in a rural community of Egypt. J Health Popul Nutr 2001; 19: 313-319.
Vaidya U, Bhave S, Pandit A. Parenteral nutrition in the management of severe protracted diarrhea. Indian J Pediatr 1993; 60: 19-24.
Illig KA, Ryan CK, Hardy DJ et al. Total parenteral nutrition-induced changes in gut mucosal function: atrophy alone is not the issue. Surgery 1992; 112: 631-637.
Sarac TP, Souba WW, Miller JH et al. Starvation induces differential small bowel luminal amino acid transport. Surgery 1994; 116: 679-686.
Lo CW, Walker WA. Chronic protracted diarrhea in infancy: a nutritional disease. Pediatrics 1983; 72: 786-800.
Lima AA, Moore SR, Barboza MS Jr et al. Persistent diarrhea signals a critical period of increased diarrhea burdens and nutritional shortfalls: a prospective cohort study among children in northeastern Brazil. J Infect Dis 2000; 181 : 1643-1651.
Bhutta ZA, Nizami SQ, Thobani S. Factors determining recovery during nutritional therapy of persistent diarrhoea: the impact of diarrhoea severity and intercurrent infections. Acta Paediatrica 1997; 86: 796-802.
- Alam NH, Faruque AS, Dewan N et al. Characteristics of children hospitalized with severe dehydration and persistent diarrhoea in Bangladesh. J Health Popul Nutr 2001; 19: 18-24.
- Amadi B, Mwiya M, Musuku J et al. Effect of nitazoxanide on morbidity and mortality in Zambian children with cryptosporidiosis: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2002; 360: 1375-1380.
- Sarker SA, Mahalanabis D, Alam NH et al. Reduced osmolarity oral rehydration solution for persistent diarrhea in infants: a randomized controlled clinical trial. J Pediatr 2001; 138: 532-538.
- Dutta P, Mitra U, Dutta S et al. Hypo-osmolar oral rehydration salts solution in dehydrating persistent diarrhoea in children: double-blind, randomized, controlled clinical trial. Acta Paediatr 2000; 89: 411-416.
- Bhutta ZA, Molla AM, Isani Z et al. Dietary management of persistent diarrhoea: comparison of a traditional rice-lentil based diet with soy formula. Pediatrics 1991; 88: 1010-1018.
- Ashraf H, Ahmed S, Fuchs GJ, Mahalanabis D. Persistent diarrhoea: associated infection and response to a low lactose diet. J Trop Pediatr 2002; 48: 142-148.
- International Working Group on Persistent Diarrhea. Evaluation of the efficacy of an algorithm for the treatment of persistent diarrhea: a multicentre study. Bull World Health Organ 1996; 74: 479-489.
- Amadi B. Role of food antigen elimination in treating children with persistent diarrhea and malnutrition in Zambia. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2002; 34 (Suppl 1): S54-S56.
- Rabbani GH, Teka T, Zaman B et al. Clinical studies in persistent diarrhea: dietary management with green banana or pectin in Bangladeshi children. Gastroenterology 2001; 121: 554-560.
- Mahalanabis D, Bhan MK. Micronutrients as adjunct therapy of acute illness in children: impact on the episode outcome and policy implications of current findings. Br J Nutr 2001; 85 (Suppl 2): S151-S158.
- Rahman MM, Vermund SH, Wahed MA et al. Simultaneous zinc and vitamin A supplementation in Bangladeshi children: randomised double blind controlled trial. BMJ 2001; 323: 314-318.
- Khatun UH, Malek MA, Black RE et al. A randomized controlled clinical trial of zinc, vitamin A or both in undernourished children with persistent diarrhea in Bangladesh. Acta Paediatr 2001; 90: 376-380.
- Villamor E, Mbise R, Spiegelman D et al. Vitamin A supplements ameliorate the adverse effect of HIV-1, malaria, and diarrheal infections on child growth. Pediatrics 2002; 109: E6.
- Bhandari N, Bahl R, Saxena M et al. Prognostic factors for persistent diarrhoea managed in a community setting. Indian J Pediatr 2000; 67: 739-745.
- Valentiner-Branth P, Steinsland H, Santos G et al. Community-based controlled trial of dietary management of children with persistent diarrhea: sustained beneficial effect on ponderal and linear growth. Am J Clin Nutr 2001; 73: 968-974.
- Jones GR, Steketee RW, Black RE, Bhutta ZA, Morris SS and the Bellagio Child Survival Study Group. How many child deaths can we prevent this year? Lancet 2003; 362: 65-71.
- Niehaus MD, Moore SR, Patrick PD et al. Early childhood diarrhea is associated with diminished cognitive function 4 to 7 years later in children in a northeast Brazilian shantytown. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2002; 66: 590-593.
Was this article helpful?
A Hard Hitting, Powerhouse E-book That Is Guaranteed To Change The Way You Look At Your Health And Wellness... Forever. Everything You Know About Health And Wellness Is Going To Change, Discover How You Can Enjoy Great Health Without Going Through Extreme Workouts Or Horrendous Diets.
Get My Free Ebook