We would like to acknowledge Abid Kagalwalla for managing our CVS database and providing us with the appropriate data for this chapter. Dr Li was supported by funding from the Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome Association, Grant Healthcare Foundation and NINS.
children: a possible association. Eur J Pediatr 2000; 159: 360-363.
- Rinaldo P. Mitochondrial fatty acid oxidation disorders and cyclic vomiting syndrome. Dig Dis Sci 1999; 44: 97S-102S.
- Boles RG, Williams JC. Mitochondrial disease and cyclic vomiting syndrome. Dig Dis Sci 1999; 44: 103S-107S.
- Symon DNK. Is cyclical vomiting an abdominal form of migraine in children? Dig Dis Sci 1999; 44: 23S-25S.
- Barlow CF. The periodic syndrome: cyclic vomiting and abdominal migraine. Clin Dev Med 1984; 91: 76-92.
- Lance JW, Anthony M. Some clinical aspects of migraine. Arch Neurol 1966; 15: 356-361.
- Salmon MA. The evolution of adult migraine through childhood migraine equivalents. In Lanzi G, Balottin U, Cernibori A, eds. Headache in Children and Adolescents. Amsterdam: Elvesier Science Publishers, 1989: 27-32.
- Raskin NH, Hosobuchi Y, Lamb S. Headache may arise from perturbation of the brain. Headache 1987; 27: 416-420.
- Weiller C, May A, Limmroth V et al. Brain stem activation in spontaneous human migraine attacks. Nat Med 1995; 1: 658-660.
- Welch KM, Nagesh V, Aurora SK. Periaqueductal gray matter dysfunction in migraine: cause or the burden of illness? Headache 2001; 41: 629-637.
- Hirano M, Pavlakis SG. Mitochondrial myopathy: encephalopathy, lactic acidosis, and strokelike episodes (MELAS): current concepts. J Child Neurol 1994; 9: 4-13.
- Wolfe SM, Adler R. A syndrome of periodic hypo-thalamic discharge. Am J Med 1964; 36: 956-967.
- Sato T, Uchigata Y, Uwadana N et al. A syndrome of periodic adrenocorticotropin and vasopressin discharge. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1982; 54: 517-522.
- Sato T, Igarashi M, Minami S et al. Recurrent attacks of vomiting, hypertension, and psychotic depression: a syndrome of periodic catecholamine and prostaglandin discharge. Acta Endocrinol 1988; 117: 189-197.
- Taché Y, Martinez V, Million M et al. Stress and the 37 gastrointestinal tract III. Stress-related alterations of gut motor function: role of brain corticotropin-releasing factor receptors. Am J Physiol-Gastrointest Liver Physiol 38
2001; 280: G173-G177.
- Taché Y. Cyclic vomiting syndrome: the corticotropin-releasing-factor hypothesis. Dig Dis Sci 1999; 44: 39 79S-86S.
- Axelrod FB, Zupanc M, Hilz MJ et al. Ictal SPECT 40 during autonomic crisis in famial dysautonomia.
Neurology 2000; 55: 122-125. 41
- To J, Issenman RM, Kamath MV et al. Evaluation of neurocardiac signals in pediatric patients with cyclic vomiting syndrome through power spectral analysis of heart rate variability. J Pediatr 1999; 135: 363-366. 42
- Rashed R, Abell TL, Familoni BO et al. Autonomic function in cyclic vomiting syndrome and classic migraine. Dig Dis Sci 1999; 44: 74S-78S. 43
- Chong SKF. Electrogastrography in cyclic vomiting syndrome. Dig Dis Sci 1999; 44: 64S-73S.
- Vanderhoof JA, Young R, Kaufmann SS et al. Treatment of cyclic vomiting syndrome in childhood with 44
- J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 1993; 17:
35. Wood JD. Enteric nervous control of motility in the 45 upper gastrointestinal tract in defensive states. Dig Dis
36. Boles RG, Adams K, Ito M, Li BUK. Maternal 46 inheritance in cyclic vomiting syndrome with neuromuscular disease. Am J Med Genet 2003; 120A: 474-482.
Abell TL, Chung HK, Malagelada JR. Idiopathic cyclic nausea and vomiting - a disorder of gastrointestinal motility? Mayo Clin Proc 1988; 63: 1169-1175.
Fleisher DR, Matar M. The cyclic vomiting syndrome: a report of 71 cases and literature review. J Pediatr
Gastroenterol Nutr 1993; 17: 361-369.
Brown JB, Li BUK. Recurrent vomiting in children. Clin
Perspect Gastroenterol 2002; 35-39.
Li BUK. Cyclic vomiting syndrome. Curr Treat Options
Gastroenterol 2000; 3: 395-402.
Forbes D, Withers G, Silburn S et al. Psychological and social characteristics and precipitants of vomiting in children with cyclic vomiting syndrome. Dig Dis Sci 1999; 44: 19S-22S.
Symon DNK. Double-blind placebo-controlled trial of pizotifen syrup in the treatment of abdominal migraine.
Arch Dis Child 1995; 72: 48-50.
Prakash C, Clouse RE. Cyclic vomiting syndrome in adults: clinical features and response to tricyclic antidepressants. Am J Gastroenterol 1999; 94:
Gokhale R, Huttenlocher PR, Brady L et al. Use of barbiturates in the treatment of cyclic vomiting during childhood. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 1997; 25: 64-67. Li BUK, Robbins JL, Vu KT et al. Morbidity and treatment in cyclic vomiting syndrome. Gastroenterology 1996; 110: 25A.
Li BUK. Cyclic vomiting syndrome: new understanding of an old disorder. Contemp Pediatr 1996; 13: 49.
Was this article helpful?
Are Headaches Taking Your Life Hostage and Preventing You From Living to Your Fullest Potential? Are you tired of being given the run around by doctors who tell you that your headaches or migraines are psychological or that they have no cause that can be treated? Are you sick of calling in sick because you woke up with a headache so bad that you can barely think or see straight?
Get My Free Ebook