Sodium A Healthful Shake
You know the guideline for healthful eating: Choose and prepare foods with little salt. How have you addressed this "salty issue"? Check off the tips that apply to your approach to eating. Do you...
- Shake a little salt on your food only after you taste it?
- Enjoy plenty of fresh vegetables?
- Keep the salt shaker in the cabinet, not on the table or kitchen counter where it's easier to use?
- Skip the salt in cooking water—for pasta, rice, and vegetables?
- Season food mostly with herbs and spices?
- Read Nutrition Facts on food labels to check the amount of sodium in food and buy foods with less?
- Consider the salt or sodium in restaurant food or fast food if you eat out regularly?
- Enjoy processed meats such as corned beef, ham, bacon, bologna, salami, hot dogs, and pastrami only occasionally?
- Buy brands of prepared foods and snack foods that have reduced sodium or salt or no added salt?
- Go easy on condiments such as mustard, ketchup, soy sauce, and tartar sauce, or use brands with less sodium?
- Balance your food choices: if you enjoy some foods with more sodium, also eat others with less?
How many boxes did you check?
Nine to eleven items: you're likely consuming moderate amounts of sodium and salt. Read on for more ideas.
Six to eight items: you're controlling the sodium and salt in your food choices but may be able to "shake the sodium habit" even more. Read on.
Five or fewer items: it's time to read on and try the tips in this chapter to consume a healthful amount of salt and potassium.
Was this article helpful?
Do You Want To Know About A Magical Drink? A Drink That Is A Refreshing Twist For Every Party! A Drink That Is Full of Nutrients And Energy! Green Smoothies A Perfect Blend of Fruits And Green Vegetables!
Get My Free Ebook