The Problem Of Underweight
A person is considered underweight if he or she has a BMI below 18.5. Although anyone who has seriously dieted may think an underweight person is problemfree, this is hardly the case. Underweight persons who have trouble gaining weight have very real concerns. Just as some people cannot seem to lose weight, other people have trouble putting on a few extra pounds. The cause could be genetics, metabolism, or environment. However, some thin people, if they were to gain weight, would feel uncomfortable. Anyone who is underweight due to wasting diseases such as cancer or eating disorders also has a problem: malnutrition.
The following list contains tips on gaining weight.
- If you find you cannot eat large meals, do not get discouraged. You can increase your intake by eating smaller meals frequently.
- Avoid drinking low-kcalorie beverages such as coffee, tea, and water, especially with meals. Try fruit juices, milk, and milkshakes for more calories.
- Add calories to your meals by using margarine, mayonnaise, oil, salad dressing, or other fats that do not contain much saturated fat. For example, spread margarine on bread or use oil-packed tuna fish.
- Add skim milk powder to soups, sauces, gravies, casseroles, scrambled eggs, and hot cereals. It adds both kcalories and protein. It can also be blended with milk at the rate of 2 to 4 tablespoons of powder to 1 cup of milk.
- Add cheese to your favorite sandwiches. Use grated cheese on top of casseroles, salads, soups, sauces, and baked potatoes.
- Try breaded foods.
- Eat regular yogurt, peanut butter or cheese with crackers, nuts, milkshakes, and whole-grain cookies and muffins as snacks.
- Add regular cottage cheese to casseroles or egg dishes such as quiche, scrambled eggs, and soufflés. Add it to spaghetti or noodles.
- Make every mouthful count!
Was this article helpful?
Everybody wants to lose weight. This is one fact that is supported by the countless weight loss programs on the market along with the numerous weight loss products, ranging from snack bars, powdered juices, shakes and even slimming soaps and lotions.
Get My Free Ebook