EC Facts and Figures
Here are some important facts about osteoporosis.
- Osteoporosis is a major public health threat for 44 million Americans, about 68 percent of whom are women.
- In the United States today, 10 million individuals already have osteoporosis and 34 million more have low bone mass, placing them at increased risk for this disease.
- One of every two women and one in four men over age 50 will have an osteoporosis-related fracture in their lifetime.
- More than 2 million American men have osteoporosis, and millions more are at risk. Each year, 80,000 men have a hip fracture, and one-third of them die within a year.
- Osteoporosis can strike at any age.
- Osteoporosis is responsible for more than 1.5 million fractures annually, including fractures of the hip, vertebrae, wrist, and other sites.
Was this article helpful?