- Laporte, RE, Patterns of disease: diabetes mellitus and the rest, Br. Med. J., 310 (6979):545-546, 1995.
- McGuire, DK and Granger CB, Diabetes and ischemic heart disease, Am. Heart J., 138(5, Part 1):366-375, 1999.
- Expert committee on the diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus, Report of the expert committee on the diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus, Diabet. Care, 21(Suppl. 1):S5-S19, 1998.
- King, H, Aubert, RE, and Herman, WH, Global burden of diabetes, 1995-2025: prevalence, numerical estimates and projections, Diabet. Care, 21(9): 1414-1431, 1998.
- Eschwege, E, Simon, D, and Balkau, B, The growing burden of diabetes in the world population, Int Diabet. Fed. Bull., 42:14-19, 1997.
- Kendall, WF, Jr., Collins, BH, and Opara, EC, Islet cell transplantation for the treatment of diabetes mellitus, Exp. Opin. Biol. Ther, 1(1):109-119, 2001.
- Ray, NF, Thamer, M, Gardner, E, and Chan, JK, Economic consequences of diabetes mellitus in the U.S. in 1997, Diabet. Care, 21(2):296-309, 1998.
- Klein, R, Hyperglycemia and microvascular and macrovascular disease in diabetes, Diabet. Care, 18(2):258-268.
- Shorr, RL, Franse, LV, Resnick, HE, Di Bari, M, Johnson, KC, and Pahor, M, Glycemic control of older adults with type 2 diabetes: findings from the third national health and nutrition examination survey, 1988-1994, J. Am. Geriatr. Soc, 48 (3):264-267, 2000.
- Abraira, C and McGuire, DK, Intensive insulin therapy in patients with type 2 diabetes: implications of the Veterans Affairs (VA CSDM) feasibility trial, Am. Heart J., 138(5 Part 1):360-365, 1999.
- Morwessel, NJ, The genetic basis of diabetes mellitus, Am. Assoc. Crit. Care Nurs., 9(4):539-554, 1998.
- Tan, CE, Emmanuel, SC, Tan, BY, and Jacob, E, Prevalence of diabetes and ethnic differences in cardiovascular risk factors: the 1992 Singapore national health survey, Diabet. Care, 22(2):241-247, 1999.
- Engelgau, MM, Geiss, LS, Saaddine, JB, Boyle, JP, Benjamin, SM, Gregg, EW, Tierney, EF, Rios-Burrows, N, Mokdad, AH, Ford, ES, Imperatore, G, and Venkat, NKM, The evolving diabetes burden in the United States, Ann. Int. Med., 2004. 140(11):945-950, 2004.
- Fagot-Campagna, A, Pettitt, DJ, Engelgau, MM, Burrows, NR, Geiss, LS, Valdez, R, Beckles, GLA, Saaddine, J, Gregg, EW, Williamson, DF, and Narayan, KMV, Type 2 diabetes among North American children and adolescents: an epidemiologic review and a public health perspective, J. Pediatr., 136(5):664-672, 2000.
- Lee, ET, Howard, BV, Savage, PJ, Cowan, LD, Fabsitz, RR, Oopik, AJ, Yeh, J, Go, O, Robbins, DC, and Welty, TK, Diabetes and impaired glucose tolerance in three American Indian populations aged 45-74 years: The Strong Heart Study, Diabet. Care, 18(5):599-610, 1995.
- Brancati, FL, Kao, WHL, Folsom, AR, Watson, RL, and Szklo, M, Incident type 2 diabetes mellitus in African American and white adults: the atherosclerosis risk in communities study, JAMA, 283(17):2253-2259, 2000.
- Lerman, IG, Villa, AR, Martinez, CL, Turrubiatez, LC, Salinas, CAA, Wong, B, Perez, FJG, and Robledo, LMG, The prevalence of diabetes and associated coronary risk factors in urban and older Mexican populations, J. Am. Geriatr. Soc., 46(11):1387-1395, 1998.
- Anon., Socioeconomic status of women with diabetes-United States, 2000, JAMA, 287(19):2496-2497, 2002.
- Boyle, JP, Honeycutt, AA, Narayan, KMV, Hoerger, TJ, Geiss, LS, Chen, H, and Thompson, TJ, Projection of diabetes burden through 2050: impact of changing demography and disease prevalence in the U.S. 2001, Diabet. Care, 24(11):1936-1940, 2001.
- Harris, MI, Flegal, KM, Cowie, CC, Eberhardt, MS, Goldstein, DE, Little, RR, Wiedmeyer, HM, and Byrd-Holt, DD, Prevalence of diabetes, impaired fasting glucose, and impaired glucose tolerance in U.S. adults. The Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1988-1994, Diabet. Care, 21(4):518-24, 1998.
- Mokdad, AH, Ford, ES, Bowman, BA, Nelson, DE, Engelgau, MM, Vinicor, F, and Marks, JS, Diabetes trends in the U.S.: 1990-1998, Diabet. Care, 23(9):1278-1283, 2000.
- Stolk, RP, Orchard, TJ, and Grobbee, DE, Why use the glucose tolerance test? Diabet. Care, 18(7):1045-1049, 1995.
- Anon., Report of the expert committee on the diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus, Diabet. Care, 23(Suppl. 1):S4-S19, 2000.
- DeFronzo, RA, Tobin, JD, and Andres, R, Glucose clamp technique: a method for quantifying insulin secretion and resistance, Am. J. Physiol., 237:E214-E223, 1979.
- Modan, M, Halkin, H, Karasik, A, and Lusky, A. Effectiveness of glycosylated hemoglobin, fasting plasma glucose, and a single load plasma glucose level in population screening for glucose intolerance, Am. J. Epidemiol., 119:431-444, 1984.
- Wingard, DL, Sinsheimer, P, Barrett-Connor, EL, and McPhillips, JB, Community-based study of prevalence of NIDDM in older adults, Diabet. Care, 13(Suppl. 2):3-8 1990.
- Feskens, EJM, Bowles, CH, and Kromhout, D, Intra- and interindividual variability of glucose tolerance in an elderly population, J. Clin. Epidemiol., 44:947-953 1991.
- Ganda, OP, Day, JL, Soeldner, JS, Connon, JJ, and Gleason, RE, Reproducibility and comparative analysis of repeated intravenous and oral glucose tolerance tests, Diabetes, 27:715-725, 1978.
- Forrest, RD, Jackson, CA, and Yudkin, JS, The abbreviated glucose tolerance test in screening for diabetes: the Islington Diabetes Survey, Diabet. Med., 5:557-561 1988.
Riccardi, G, Vaccaro, O, Rivellese, A, Pignalosa, S, Tutino, L, and Mancini, M, Reproducibility of the new diagnostic criteria for impaired glucose tolerance, Am. J. Epidemiol., 1985. 121:422-429, 1985.
Eriksson, KF and Lindgarde, F, Impaired glucose tolerance in a middle-aged male urban population: a new approach for identifying high-risk cases, Diabetologia, 33:526-531, 1990.
Engelgau, MM, Geiss, LS, Saaddine, JB, Boyle, JP, Benjamin, SM, Gregg, EW, Tierney, EF, Rios-Burrows, N, Mokdad, AH, Ford, ES, Imperatore, G, and Venkat, N, The evolving diabetes burden in the United States, Ann. Int. Med., 140(11):945-950, 2004.
Davidson, MB, Peters, AL, and Schriger, DL, An alternative approach to the diagnosis of diabetes with a review of the literature,. Diabet. Care, 18(7):1065-71, 1995. Bloomgarden, ZT, The European Association for the Study of Diabetes annual meeting, 1998: The U.K. Prospective diabetes study and other topics in type 2 diabetes, Diabet. Care, (6):989-995, 1999.
Albareda, M, Caballero, A, Badell, G, Piquer, S, Ortiz, A, de Leiva, A, and Corcoy, R, Diabetes and abnormal glucose tolerance in women with previous gestational diabetes, Diabet. Care, 2003. 26(4):1199-1205, 2003.
MacNeill, S, Dodds, L, Hamilton, DC, Armson, BA, Vandenhof, M, Rates and risk factors for recurrence of gestational diabetes, Diabet. Care, 24(4): 659-662, 2001. Cheung, NW and Byth, K, Population health significance of gestational diabetes, Diabet. Care, 26(7):2005-2009, 2003.
Miles, AMV, Sumrani, N, Horowitz, R, Homel, P, Maursky, V, Markell, MS, Distant, DA, Hong, JH, Sommer, BG, and Friendman, EA, Diabetes mellitus after renal transplantation: as deleterious as non-transplant associated diabetes? Transplantation, 65(3):380-384, 1998.
Montori, VM, Basu, A, Erwin, PJ, Velosa, JA, Gabriel, SE, and Kudva, YC, Post transplantation diabetes: a systematic review of the literature, Diabetes, 25(3):583-592, 2002.
Cosio, FG, Pesavento, TE, Osei, K, Henry, ML, and Ferguson, RM, Post-transplant diabetes mellitus: increasing incidence in renal allograft recipients transplanted in recent years, Kidney Int., 59(2):732-737, 2001.
First, MR, Gerber, DA, Hariharan, S, Kaufman, DB, and Shapiro, R, Post transplant diabetes mellitus in kidney allograft recipients: incidence, risk factors, and management, Transplantation, 73(3):379-386, 2002.
Greenspan, LC, Gitelman, SE, and Leung, MA, Increased incidence in post-transplant diabetes mellitus in children: a case-control analysis, Pediatr. Nephrol., iS(12):1315-1316, 2003.
Navasa, M, Bustamante, J, Marroni, C, Gonzalez, E, Andreu, H, Esmatjes, E, Garcia-Valdecasas, JC, Grande, L, Cirer, I, Rimola, A, and Rodes, J, Diabetes mellitus after liver transplantation: prevalence and predictive factors, J. Hepatol., 25(1):64-71, 1996.
Mokdad, AH, Bowman, BA, Ford, ES, Vinicor, F, Marks, JS, and Koplan, JP, The continuing epidemics of obesity and diabetes in the United States, JAMA, 286(10):1195-1200, 2001.
Mokdad, AH, Ford, ES, Bowman, BA, Nelson, DE, Engelgau, MM, Vinicor, F, and Marks, JS, The continuing increase of diabetes in the US, Diabet. Care, 24(2):412-414, 2001.
- Klein, R, Klein, BE, and Moss, SE, Is obesity related to microvascular and macrovas-cular complications in diabetes?: the Wisconsin epidemiologic study of diabetic retinopathy, Arch. Int. Med., 157(6):650-656, 1997.
- Folsom, AR, Kushi, LH, Anderson, KE, Mink, PJ, Olson, JE, Hong, CP, Sellers, TA, Lazovich, D, and Prineas, RJ, Associations of general and abdominal obesity with multiple health outcomes in older women: the Iowa women's health study, Arch. Int. Med., 160(14):2117-2128, 2000.
- Resnick, HE, Valsania, P, Halter, JB, and Lin, X, Differential effects of BMI on diabetes risk among black and white Americans, Diabet. Care, 21(11):1828-1835, 1998.
- Stevens, J, Ahn, K, Juhaeri, P, Houston, D, Steffan, L, and Couper, D, Dietary fiber intake and glycemic index and incidence of diabetes in African-American and white adults: the ARIC study, Diabet. Care, 25(10):1715-1721, 2002.
- Feskens, EJ, Virtanen, SM, Rasanen, L, Tuomilehto, J, Stengard, J, Pekkanen, J, Nissinen, A, and Kromhout, D, Dietary factors determining diabetes and impaired glucose tolerance: a 20-year follow-up of the Finnish and Dutch cohorts of the seven countries study, Diabet. Care, 18(8):1104-1112, 1995.
- Gerstein, HC, Mann, JFE, Pogue, J, Dinneen, SF, Halle, JP, Hoogwerf, B, Joyce, C, Rashkow, A, Young, J, Zinman, B, and Yusuf, S, Prevalence and determinants of microalbuminuria in high-risk diabetic and nondiabetic patients in the heart outcomes prevention evaluation study, Diabet. Care, 23(2):B35-B39, 2000.
- Ajani, UA, Gaziano, JM, Lotufo, PA, Liu, S, Hennekens, CH, Buring, JE, and Manson, JE, Alcohol consumption and risk of coronary heart disease by diabetes status, Circulation, 102(5):500-505, 2000.
- Haire-Joshu, D, Glasgow, RE, and Tibbs, TL, Smoking and diabetes, Diabet. Care, 22(11):1887-1898, 1999.
- Ryerson, B, Tierney, EF, Thompson, TJ, Engelgau, MM, Wang, J, Gregg, EW, and Geiss, LS, Excess physical limitations among adults with diabetes in the U.S. population, 1997-1999, Diabet. Care, 26(1):206-10, 2003.
- Gregg, EW, Beckles, GLA, Williamson, DF, Leveille, SG, Langlois, JA, Engelgau, MM, and Narayan, KMV, Diabetes and physical disability among older U.S. adults, Diabet. Care, 23(9):1272-1277, 2000.
- Desai, MM, Rosenheck, RA, Druss, BG, and Perlin, JB, Mental disorders and quality of diabetes care in the Veterans Health Administration, Am. J. Psychiat., 159(9):1584-1590, 2002.
- Javier, NF, Cardiovascular disease and risk factor epidemiology: a look back at the epidemic of the 20th century, Am. J. Pub. Health, 89(3):292-294, 1999.
- Barzilay, JI, Spiekerman, CF, Kuller, LH, Burke, GL, Biittner, V, Gottdiener, JS, Brancati, FL, Orchard, TJ, O'Leary, DH, and Savage, PJ, Prevalence of clinical and isolated subclinical cardiovascular disease in older adults with glucose disorders: the cardiovascular health study, Diabet. Care, 24(7):1233-1239, 2001.
- Lundberg, V, Stegmayr, B, Asplund, K, Eliasson, M, and Huhtassaari, F, Diabetes as a risk factor for myocardial infarction: population and gender perspectives, J. Int. Med., 241(6):485-492, 1997.
- Howard, BV, Robbins, DC, Sievers, ML, Lee, ET, Rhoades, D, Devereux, RB, Cowan, LD, Gray, RS, Welty, TK, Go, OT, and Howard, WJ, LDL cholesterol as a strong predictor of coronary heart disease in diabetic individuals with insulin resistance and low LDL: the Strong Heart Study, Arteriosclero., Thromb. Vasc. Biol., 20(3):830-835, 2000.
Ducimetiere, P, Eschwege, E, Papoz, L, et. al., Relationship of plasma insulin levels to the incidence of myocardial infarction and coronary heart disease mortality in a middle-aged population, Diabetologia, 19:205-210, 1980.
Despres, JP, Lamarche, B, Mauriege, P, et al., Hyperinsulinemia as an independent risk factor for ischemic heart disease, N. Engl. J. Med., 334:952-957, 1996. Pyorala, M, Miettinen, H, Laakso, M, et. al., Hyperinsulinemia predicts coronary heart disease risk in healthy middle-aged men: the 22-year follow-up results of the Helsinki policemen study, Circulation, 98:398-404, 1998.
Welin, L, Erikson, H, Larrson, B, et. al., Hyperinsulinemia is not a major coronary risk factor in elderly men: the study of men born in 1913, Diabetologia, 35:766-770, 1992.
Ferrara, A, Barrett-Connor, EL, and Edelstein, SL, Hyperinsulinemia does not increase the risk of fatal cardiovascular disease in elderly men or women without diabetes: the Rancho Bernardo study, 1984-1991, Am. J. Epidemiol., 140:857-869, 1994.
Ruige, B, Assendelft, WJJ, Dekker, JM, et, al. Insulin and risk of cardiovascular disease: a meta analysis, Circulation, 97:996-1001, 1998.
Grundy, SM, Balady, GJ, Criqui, MH, Fletcher, G, Greenland, P, Hiratzka, LF, Houston-Miller, N, Kris-Etherton, P, Krumholz, HM, LaRosa, J, Ockene, IS, Pearson, TA, Reed, J, Washington, R, and Smith, SC, Jr., Primary prevention of coronary heart disease: guidance from Framingham: a statement for healthcare professionals from the AHA task force on risk reduction, Circulation, 97(18):1876-1887, 1998. Gu, K, Cowie, CC, and Harris, MI, Diabetes and decline in heart disease mortality in US adults, JAMA, 281(14):1291-1297, 1999.
Devereux, RB, Roman, MJ, Paranicas, M, O'Grady, MJ, Lee, ET, Welty, TK, Fabsitz, RR, Robbins, D, Rhoades, ER, and Howard, BV, Impact of diabetes on cardiac structure and function: the Strong Heart Study, Circulation, 101(19):2271-2276, 2000.
Malmberg, K and McGuire, DK, Diabetes and acute myocardial infarction: the role of insulin therapy, Am. Heart J., 138(5, Part 1):381-386, 1999. Bhatt, DL, Marso, SP, Hirsch, AT, Ringleb, PA, Hacke, W, and Topol, EJ, Amplified benefit of clopidogrel versus aspirin in patients with diabetes mellitus. Am. J. Cardiol., 90(6):625-628, 2002.
Lawrenson, RA, Leydon, GM, Newson, RB, and Feher, MD, Coronary heart disease in women with diabetes: positive association with past hysterectomy and possible benefits of hormone replacement therapy, Diabetes, 22(5):856-857, 1999. Akbari, CM and LoGerfo, FW, Diabetes and peripheral vascular disease. J. Vasc. Surg, 30(2):373-384, 1999.
Gordois, A, Scuffham, P, Shearer, A, Oglesby, A, and Tobian, JA, The health care costs of diabetic peripheral neuropathy in the U.S., Diabet. Care, 2003. 26(6):1790-1795, 2003.
Currie, CJ, Morgan, CL, and Peters, JR, The epidemiology and cost of inpatient care for peripheral vascular disease, infection, neuropathy, and ulceration in diabetes, Diabet. Care, 21(1):42-48, 1998.
Mayfield, JA, Reiber, GE, Sanders, LJ, Janisse, D, and Pogach, LM, Preventive foot care in people with diabetes, Diabet. Care, 21(12):2161-2177, 1998. Palubo, PJ and Melton, LJ, Peripheral vascular disease and diabetes, in Diabetes in America, NIH Publishing, chap. 15, p. 1-21, 1985.
- Apelquist, J, Ragnarson-Tennvall, G, Larrson, J, and Perrson, U, Long-term costs for foot ulcers in diabetic patients in a multidisciplinary setting, Foot Ankle Int., 16:388-394, 1995.
- Nabarro, JDN, Diabetes in the United Kingdom: some facts and figures, Diabet. Med., 5:816-822, 1988.
- Lavery, LA, Ashry, HR, van Houtum, W, Pugh, JA, Harkless, LB, and Basu, S, Variation in the incidence and proportion of diabetes-related amputations in minorities, Diabet. Care, 19(1):48-52, 1996.
- Edelson, GW, Armstrong, DG, Lavery, LA, and Caicco, G, The acutely infected diabetic foot is not adequately evaluated in an inpatient setting, Arch. Int. Med., 156(20):2373-2378, 1996.
- Cohen, GD, Schnall, SB, and Holtom, P, New onset diabetes mellitus in patients presenting with extremity infections, Clin. Orthoped. Rel. Res., 1 9403: 45-48, 2002.
- Kannel, WB and McGee, DL, Diabetes and cardiovascular disease: the Framingham Study, JAMA, 241:2035-2038, 1979.
- Wolf, PA, D'Agostino, RB, Belanger, AJ, and Kannel, WB, Probability of stroke: a risk profile from the Framingham Study, Stroke, 22:312-318, 1991.
- Tuomilehto, J, Rasetnyte, D, Jousilahti, P, Sarti, C, and Vartiainen, E, Diabetes mellitus as a risk factor for death from stroke: prospective study of the middle-aged Finnish population, Stroke, 27:210-215, 1996.
- Brown, RD, Jr., Whisnant, JP, Sicks, JD, O'Fallon, WM, and Wiebers, DO, Stroke incidence, prevalence and survival: secular trends in Rochester, Minnesota, through 1989, Stroke, 27:373-380, 1996.
- Karapanayiotides, T, Piechowski-Jozwiak, B, Van Melle, G, Bogousslavsky, J, and Devuyst, G, Stroke patterns, etiology, and prognosis in patients with diabetes mellitus, Neurology, 62(9):1558-1562, 2004.
- Megherbi, SE, Milan, C, Minier, D, Couvreur, G, Osseby, GV, Tilling, K, Di Carlo, A, Inzitari, D, Wolfe, CDA, Moreau, T, and Giroud, M, Association between diabetes and stroke subtype on survival and functional outcome 3 months after stroke: data from the European BIOMED stroke project, Stroke, 34(3):688-694, 2003.
- Costabile, RA, Optimizing treatment for diabetes mellitus induced erectile dysfunction. J. Urol., 170(2):S35-S39, 2003.
- Bloomgarden, ZT, American Diabetes Association annual meeting, 1998: nephropathy and retinopathy. Diabet. Care, 22(4):640-644, 1999.
- Klein, BEK, Klein, RM, and Scot, E, Incidence of self reported glaucoma in people with diabetes mellitus, Br. J. Ophthalmol., 81(9):743-747, 1997.
- Ellis, JD, Evans, JMM, Ruta, DA, Baines, PS, Leese, G, MacDonald, TM, and Morris, AD, Glaucoma incidence in an unselected cohort of diabetic patients: is diabetes mellitus a risk factor for glaucoma, Br. J. Ophthalmol., 84(11):1218-1224, 2000.
- Harris, MI, Klein, R, Cowie, CC, Rowland, M, and Byrd-Holt, DD, Is the risk of diabetic retinopathy greater in non-Hispanic blacks and Mexican-Americans than in non-Hispanic whites with type 2 diabetes?: a U.S. population study, Diabet. Care, 21(8):1230-1235, 1998.
- Leiter, LA, Barr, A, Belanger, A, Lubin, S, Ross, SA, Tildesley, HD, and Fontaine, N, Diabetes screening in Canada (DIASCAN) study: prevalence of undiagnosed diabetes and glucose intolerance in family physician offices, Diabet. Care, 24(6):1038-1043, 2001.
- Rajala, U, Laakso, M, Qiao, Q, and Keinanen-Kiukaanniemi, S, Prevalence of retin-opathy in people with diabetes, impaired glucose tolerance, and normal glucose testing, Diabet. Care, 21(10):1664-1669, 1998.
- Stolk, RP, Vingerling, JR, de Jong, PTVM, Dielemans, I, Hofman, A, Lamberts, SWJ, Pols, HAP, and Grobbee, DE, Retinopathy, glucose, and insulin in an elderly population: the Rotterdam study, Diabetes, 44 (91):11-15, 1995.
- Klein, R, Klein, BEK, and Moss, SE, The Wisconsin epidemiologic study of diabetic retinopathy: XVI. The relationship of c-peptide to the incidence and progression of diabetic retinopathy, Diabetes, 44(7):796-801, 1995.
- Klein, R and Moss, S, A comparison of the study populations in the diabetes control and complications trial and the Wisconsin epidemiologic study of diabetic retinopathy, Arch. Int. Med., 155(7):745-754, 1995.
- Expert Committee on Diagnosis and Classification of Diabetes Mellitus, Follow-up report on the diagnosis of diabetes mellitus, Diabet. Care, 26(11):3160-3167, 2003.
- Klein, BEK, Klein, R, Moss, SE, and Palta, M, A cohort study of the relationship of diabetic retinopathy to blood pressure, Arch. Ophthalmol., 113(5):601-606, 1995.
- Tomar, SL and Lester, A, Dental and other health care visits among U.S. adults with diabetes, Diabet. Care, 23(10):1505-1510, 2000.
- Morgan, CL, Currie, CJ, and Peters, JR, Relationship between diabetes and mortality: a population study using record linkage, Diabet. Care, 23(8):1103-1107, 2000.
- Bonds, DE, Zacarro, DJ, Karter, AJ, Selby, JV, Saad, M, and Goff, DC, Jr., Ethnic and racial differences in diabetes care: the insulin resistance atherosclerosis study, Diabet. Care, 26(4):1040-1046, 2003.
Was this article helpful?
All you need is a proper diet of fresh fruits and vegetables and get plenty of exercise and you'll be fine. Ever heard those words from your doctor? If that's all heshe recommends then you're missing out an important ingredient for health that he's not telling you. Fact is that you can adhere to the strictest diet, watch everything you eat and get the exercise of amarathon runner and still come down with diabetic complications. Diet, exercise and standard drug treatments simply aren't enough to help keep your diabetes under control.
Get My Free Ebook